The PG Department of English in St. Joseph's College for Women was established at the inception of the college, on 1st July 1954. It started functioning originally to cater to the intermediate / Pre-degree level students, and for the General English students at the Degree level. In 1971, it came into its own when the Under Graduate Course in English Language and Literature was introduced. The first ever Post Graduate Course in the college was started in English Language and Literature in 1999. In 2014, a new Career Related undergraduate course in English and Communicative English was begun to cater to the changing times and needs. The Department has been imparting quality education for more than six decades and is the biggest department in the college. It reaches out to all streams of study, thus placing itself in an influential position, capable of moulding all the students under its umbrella.
* INCEPTION OF THE DEPARTMENT : 1954
* BA ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE COURSE : 1971
* MA ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE COURSE : 1999
* BA ENGLISH AND COMMUNICATIVE ENGLISH COURSE : 2014
Annals proclaim that Ms. Elizabeth George Anthraper was the first person to be in charge of the Department. In 1955, M. Josephine D'Mello joined the department and went on to be its head for several years till she became the second Principal of the college in 1979. In 958, Prof. Kunjannam Andrews (Kunjamma K.A.) joined the department as its permanent staff. She succeeded M. Josephine as its head. The department swelled into the largest in the college as various faculty members joined in the ensuing years: Prof. Philomena Thomas (Mrs. Mathews) (H), Dr. Celine K J (Celine Francis) (H), Prof. C.D. Matilda (Matilda John), Prof. Leela Mary Koshy (Leela Chummar), Dr. Elizabeth Valsa Koshy (Valsa Mammen) (H), Prof. Thresiamma Xavier (Maniyamma Joseph), Prof. Kunjamma Mathew (Ramani Varghese). The department stood at the vanguard with multifarious activities under various fora like the Literary Association, Cine Forum, The Poetry Club, The Debating Club etc. In 1970’s Prof. Sushila George (Sushila Thomas) (H) and Dr. Marie Louisa Francis (Evelyn Antony) (H) joined the long line of stalwarts of the department. In the meantime, BA English Language and Literature was introduced as an undergraduate course. In 1979 when the shift system was introduced, fresh blood was infused in the guise of Prof. Tessy Xavier (Tessy Lalachan) (H), Prof. Mary Agnes Fernandez and Dr. Correya Blazy. In 1987, Dr. Sheena George (H) and Dr. Sandhya Pai joined the Department. Dr. Sheena George went on to become the tenth Principal of the college in 2017. In 2010, in the new millennium, Ms. Sharon D'Cunha, Ms. Geethu Amar, Ms. Mirium Xavier, Ms. Divya Mary Varghese and Dr. Anupama Varma joined the Department. In 2012, Ms. Anjali George, Sr. Ligy Jose, Ms. Nimisha Francis and Ms. Manju Thomas joined the permanent staff of the Department. In 2023, Ms. Dhanya Joy, Ms. Mary Regitha Bellarmine, Ms. Arya Jose, Dr. Neethu Das and Ms. Niveditha B Warrier joined the Department as permanent faculty. At present the department has fourteen permanent faculty members, and one guest faculty and Ms. Geethu Amar is the present head of the Department.
ILLUSTRIOUS ALUMNAE: The Department has the largest alumnae. Several of the alumnae occupy prestigious positions including Civil Services and Educational field and other areas. Noted alumnae include, Rev. M. Margaret Peter, the former Congregational Leader of Canossians, Mini Antony IAS, DIG Shiny IPS (Odisha Cadre), Award Winning actress Jalaja, Danseuses and Cine Artistes Devi Chandana and Saranya Mohan, Fulbright Scholars Veena Mani and Anchitha Krishna, Charles Wallace scholar Annie Treasa, Promising journalist Amala Jose (Manorama), Award winning poet Adila Kabeer, to mention a few.
The PG Department Library cum reading room is a haven for students and teachers. The library houses around 1000 books. The Language Lab donated as part of the Duroflex CSR Project is equipped with advanced software to enhance English language and communication skills.